Valentine’s Day is a time of public declarations – when even those of us that typically refrain from PDA find the courage to tell the world, “hey, just in case it wasn’t clear, I really love this person!”. This can take many shapes and forms–engagement, marriage–and even the “hard launch”, which often happens on our social media feeds.
We’re here with a hot take: if you have a heat pump, it’s time to hard launch your relationship with it this Valentine’s Day.
Why? Well, put simply, personal climate action is contagious – in a good way! Research on solar panel adoption (replicated many times, in many geographies) shows that the biggest predictor of whether you will purchase solar panels is whether your neighbor has already done so! Why? As Katherine Hayhoe so eloquently explains, this lowers “the ‘cost’ of information”. Knowing that you can go down the street and ask who installed the equipment and how it went is, well, comforting.
This isn’t the only research that underscores the importance of social proof when it comes to home electrification, though. A study recently published in the journal Energy Policy about household energy decision-making and technology adoption in the U.S. found that the top two information sources homeowners sought after during their consideration process were (1) their own friends and family (~42% survey respondents), and (2) online reviews (~36% of survey respondents).
Here’s the tricky thing about heat pumps and heat pump water heaters though, though. These HVAC systems are hidden away in our basements, utility closets, and backyards – entirely out of sight from the neighbors, typically. Remember the old conundrum, “If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it does it even make a sound?” Feels pretty relevant here!
The point is, taking a public stand for personal climate action can dramatically accelerate the pace of progress in your orbit. By taking a few minutes to “hard launch” your home electrification efforts, you have the opportunity to create a ripple effect of decarbonization far beyond the four walls of your own home.
How to “Hard Launch” your heat pump (on social)
Social media is a great place to share your story! We created these love notes to make it easy.
No heat pump yet? Commit to one…and get $1,000 off!
If you don’t have a heat pump quite yet, but are ready to commit in 2024, check out our special Valentine’s Day offer. Here’s how it works: pledge $1,000 to reserve your spot in our queue, and we’ll give you that money back in a discount when you book your project (currently available for those in the Denver Metro Area and Greater Boston).
How to Hard Launch your heat pump without social media
No social media? No problem! We’re taking advice from our friends at VeryWellMind on hard launching your relationship without social media, and translating that to heat pumps.
- Send a group text to your friends or family members. This can include the name and a photo of your partner. Yes this works great! “Heat Pump” has entered the chat.
- Call your friends and family individually to discuss your relationship. Another strong option – share your reasons for why you went electric in a good ol’ fashioned phone call
- Bring your partner out with you to meet your friends. Ehh, this one’s a little trickier…but snapping a selfie with your heat pump to share with friends might just do the trick!
- Take your partner home to meet your family. This one’s even harder. Then again, dropping off information about a heat pump might be the move
- Plan a gathering at which you’ll introduce your new partner to your social circle. This one is a gem! Throw a “meet my heat pump” party (and be sure to send us photos)!
So yes, make the cheesy post about your partner (seriously, always make the cheesy post), but don’t forget to also affirm your commitment to a cause that also needs your support now more than ever – the climate.
Ready to get started? Join us in building a brighter future by electrifying everything, starting with homes. Your choice today shapes our collective tomorrow!